I love Spaghetti Squash and was only introduced to it a few years ago by my girlfriend who made it for me. I had always seen them in the grocery store but never knew what to do with them, and what they would taste like. Well…. they are EASY to cook and DELICIOUS!
I usually roast/steam them in the oven which takes roughly an hour or so. This time I cranked the oven to 400 because I was cooking something else at that temp at the same time, and had much better results.
- First, you want to use a long sharp knife and cut it in half lengthwise.. my favorite is my Pumpkin Knife from Williams Sonoma, which also comes in Watermelon and Cantaloupe depending on the season. It is long and extremely sharp! Perfect for cutting, squashes, melons, and pumpkins!
- Next, using a spoon, scrape out the center and discard all of the seeds
- Place a dab of butter and cut up sage in the center of each half and place it in a baking dish. Cast iron pans work great as well! I use my Lodge Pan for almost everything!
- Fill the bottom of the dish with about 1/4 to 1/3 parts of water and tightly cover dish with tin foil.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for about 30-45min or until inside is tender.
- Serve each half as a meal, side dish, or in place of pasta!
* And the best part is you can feel good about eating it because this vegetable is only 31 calories per cup!